Thursday, September 27, 2007

An amendment

I need to amend that last observation. Apparently manga is only forbidden at Kita HS. Today (at Kabutoyama HS) one of my 1st grade students was blatantly reading his comic book instead of paying attention and the JTE didn't do anything. I was a little peeved that this kid was so disrespectful, so I took it from him - as he was reading. He was so engrossed in his comics that he didn't notice me until I had taken the manga out of his hands! He looked completely bewildered! Then, I turn my back for 10 seconds to walk back to the front of the classroom, and he pulls out another comic book from his desk! This time, however, he saw me coming, so he shoved it back in his desk before I got there. I said to him, "NO!" several times and I'm pretty sure he understood because he didn't try it again. Meanwhile, the JTE did nothing!! (Granted, this particular JTE is a bit difficult to work with because he's just coasting until retirement...but I digress) After class I told the kid, "Don't do this again!" and gave it back. When I told my supervising teacher about it later, he just laughed and said, "Oh yeah!" like it's no big deal.

My two schools are like night and day!
I guess it's to be expected because they are two different schools, but it's hard to know what goes!

Japanese phrase of the day:
Wakarimasen! I don't understand!

1 comment:

Your G.G. said...

Anna, you're having such an adventure! Jealous! I hope you're having lots of fun, and I'm glad to read that you're getting arond Kobe well on your own. Sounds like the other other teachers aren't super supportive, though. Boo. Hopefully thats not too frustrating.
Not a lot going on here. I had my own mini wedding season- Chris' roommates got married (to each other!) labor day weekend, and this past weekend I spent in Bumble, PA, at the wedding of two friends from college. very fun all around. Now I'm just getting back into swing of things at work, and preparing a presentation to my coworkers about frank Gehry's designs (I don't know if I told you this before, but I'm one of two people permanently assigned to sell Gehry jewelry. woot!). After that, we'll all be gearing up for the holiday season, which seems to be sneaking up faster than I'd like. Unfortunately I won't be able to take time off for Christmas or Thanksgiving again, but it looks like my sister and her boyfriend my come here for Thanksgiving, so I'm really excited.
Okay, I'm officially rambling. I miss you! Can't wait to read your next post, you're really good at keeping us posted. Have a good one!

Katie